Thursday, December 22, 2005

Catching Time

A big event that I am a part of putting on each fall came one month later this year, the end of October to be exact. That alone threw me for a loop and I sit here saying, "It can't be Christmas already, can it?" Where did it go?" Literally, like a shoe I've misplaced under my bed, I seem to have completely and totally made one month disappear along with the time that comes with it.

How in the world is that possible? I was, however, thankful that the event ended on Oct. 30th and Trick or Treating in our neighborhood was actually on Halloween. I was dying to see my almost three year old son dress up in his cowboy hat and horse outfit and scoot around the neighborhood like he was ready to ride the range. It became apparent to me early in the process that I wasn't playing as pivotal a role as I thought I was, when I was walking about ten steps behind the galloping toddler who then stopped, rolled his eyes and looked at me like I was holding him up and waved his hand while saying, "Come on Girl!"

Now, here we are at Christmas time. I'm usually one who TOTALLY gets into buying presents and has some of them purchased and tucked neatly away in there own little safe spot in the closet until it's time to put them under the tree. I always have pretty specific ideas of what I want to get people and annoy others as I make a list throughout the year whenever I hear the slightest hint of what someone may want. This year though, between leaving an old house, moving into a new one, unpacking, decorating, working full time, Dave starting a new company, being gone for two weeks for the event, writing freelance articles and starting a column in a national magazine, running a toddler back and forth to daycare and breathing, my brain creativity was at an all-time low.


I hate this! I always like improving on myself. Each year I think I should be a better version of who I was last year. The holidays don't really stress me out. I love sitting in a dark room with only the Christmas lights on. Although some might worry when I sit there wearing my Mickey Mouse ears singing "Who's the Leader of the club that's made for you and me....M I C - see ya real soon...K.E.Y...Why? Because we like you...." What? Did anyone say looneybin?" But I digress...

I try to appreciate life's little moments but as many know, it can be challenging when you feel like you're being pulled in fifty different directions.

Here's my advertisement for 2006 -

"Searching for a better Shari! Tell me how we can make Shari better, stronger, smarter, taller, more time-efficient and more popular in gym class in 2006:-) Oh, and be on the lookout for time saving techniques that might help her juggle it all! Until then, keep on truckin', as I'm sure she will, unless you'd rather keep on bikin' or walkin' or wigglin' instead." Wait, The WIggles....maybe toddlers know something I don't....

So, as I reevaluate for 2006, priorities perhaps shift a little bit and the sane side of me kicks back in (yeah right!) saying, "I will not do things that don't bring me happiness and joy from here on out!" I'll look for ways to simplify my life, bring certain out of control trains to a stop and start riding a slower more energy efficient mule of some kind (okay, perhaps I'll stick to the mini-van) and get a stronger hold on creating my daily life in a way that I see fit and not the way "time" seems to direct it.


Might I suggest that you watch a movie called "Sliding Doors?" I watched it a long time ago but I've never forgotten it. It stars Gwyneth Paltrow and the basic premise is of a girl that gets up in the morning to go on with her day. The movie literally splits into two mini-movies and in one, you see how her life turns out when she makes the subway train ride that she was hurrying to catch. The other shows you how life turns out when she doesn't quite get through the closing doors on time. This one will have you thinking about the consequences of many of the smaller events in your life, the role that fate has to play in your daily rumblings, and your comparative thoughts versus some of the actions of the players in this film.

I read this today and it summized my thoughts beautifully. Have a wonderful Christmas and here's to a fantastic and simplified 2006! Don't worry about time....it's always going to be there....our challenge is to figure out how to catch it....

The 'LITTLE' things
As you might know, the head of a company survived 9/11
because his son started kindergarten.
Another fellow was alive
because it was his turn to bring donuts.
One woman was late
because her alarm clock didn't go off in time.
One was late
because of being stuck on the NJ Turnpike because of an auto accident.
One of them
missed his bus.
One
spilled food on her clothes and had to take time to change.
One's
car wouldn't start.
One
went back to answer the telephone.
One
had a child that dawdled and didn't get ready as soon as he should have.
One
couldn't get a taxi.
The one that struck me was...
the man who put on a new pair of shoes that morning, took the various means to get to work but before he got there, he developed a blister on his foot. He stopped at a drugstore ! to buy a Band-Aid.
That is why he is alive today.
Now when I am ~
stuck in traffic,
miss an elevator,
turn back to answer a ringing telephone...
all the little things that annoy me.
I think to myself,
this is exactly where
God wants me to be
at this very moment..
Next time your morning seems to be going wrong, the children are slow getting dressed,
you can't seem to find the car keys, you hit every traffic light, don't get mad or frustrated;
God is at work watching over you.

May God continue to bless you in 2006 with all those annoying little things and may you remember their possible purpose.

No comments: