Friday, June 17, 2005

Here's Wishing You a Water Day!

Water Day......Water Day.....Dave & I could hear Hayden singing to himself over the monitor this morning, in his own made up little tune, about "Water Day" at Miss Debbie's yesterday. All week long the kids at daycare had trouble containing their excitment for this day to end all days - WATER DAY! WATER DAY! WATER DAY!! Miss Debbie pulls out a big, blow up swimming pool in the back yard, runs water in it, puts a plastic slide on one side and then changes everybody into swim suits and little swimmer diapers and OFF THEY GO! Splashing, yelling, screaming, playing, giggling, jumping, sliding and basically having the time of their lives.

It's all very simple really. There is no special pomp and circumstance to the event but to the kids it's the greatest. For the first three days of the week, everytime I mentioned Miss Debbie, Hayden would say inquisitively "Water Day?" No, not yet honey. A few more days to go. So, when we headed out to the store on Wed. night to buy him some Little Swimmers Swim diapers, the kid couldn't push his miniature shopping cart fast enough through the aisles when I told him we were getting "new pants" for Water Day. He loaded them in the cart himself and then bolted to the register, hoisted them up on the conveyor belt and handed the clerk the money I had given him. Accomplished!

Debbie said he went crazy with excitement once they were allowed in the pool. He was exhausted when I picked him up only to come home and help me garden and water the flowers. When I turned the hose on, he ran over to me in the front yard, pulled his shirt straight up in front of his face and yelled "Water tummy Mama, Water tummy!!!"

I couldn't help but smile and think Boy, we sure forget to have fun with such simples things as we grow older....Too much seriousness....So I turned the hose on him, drenched him through and through and he screamed and giggled with glee the entire time.


So....I hope somebody turns the hose on you today!...lots of splashing, yelling, screaming, playing, giggling, jumping, sliding. I send good vibes that you will have the Water Day to end all Water Days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's just because I'm pregnant but this brought tears to my eyes! I can totally picture Hayden pulling his shirt up with excitement awaiting that splash of water on his little tummy! Your right, we adults forget to let loose because of all the daily responsibilities. I'm so thankful we have our little two year olds to remind us!